Saturday, August 14, 2010

Child Moving Concerns

It is something that happens regularly. Children grow up and move out of the house. Sometimes they just want to have their freedom or in other instances they move away after graduating from High School and go to college.

My first experience with this was 10 years ago when our daughter left our home in Northeast Florida to move to Orlando and attend UCF. It was a exciting time but at the same time a little sad. The good thing is Orlando is only 2 1/2 hours away so not so bad..

Next after our son graduated from High School he stayed at home and attended a local University but then when he graduated from UNF he took a job a moved to North Carolina. This was a little scary to me as that was further. It is a 7 hour drive and he was moving to an area without knowing one person plus he would be living alone. It has been about 3 years and he seems to be pefectly fine.

Now my daughter is moving all the way accross the country to Portland, Oregon. I know she is excited for the move but it just seems too far from Florida. I keep reminding myself that she is 28 years old and an adult so I just need to support her in the decisions she makes and be happy. Other people have children move much further and out of the country so why am I letting this bother me? I think once they are safely in Portland with jobs secured I will be a little more relaxed.

No comments: